About Our Program
The ERCOT Internship Program gives high-performing college students the opportunity to develop their skills in a professional work environment. Interns receive intellectually stimulating projects and assignments that aim to solve real challenges facing the electric industry. The ERCOT Internship Program allows students to experience corporate work life and provides ERCOT staff the opportunity to evaluate their capabilities and compatibility with ERCOT's mission, work ethic, and culture for future employment.
This program is a paid learning experience for students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (no exceptions) and who have at least completed their sophomore year of college studies. Students who apply must be enrolled in a bachelor or postgraduate degree program at a school listed in the U.S. Department of Education’s Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs. Graduate students are highly encouraged to apply. A relocation stipend is available to out-of-town candidates if the job is required to be on-site.
- Limited to the summer months, typically starting the day after Memorial Day and ending in mid-August.
- Limited to 40 hours per week.
- Typical work hours are 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- Must be enrolled in an academic bachelor or postgraduate degree program at an educational institution listed in the U.S. Department of Education's Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs with a GPA of 3.0 or higher (no exceptions), with plans to enroll in classes the following semester.
- Students hired for the Summer Internship Program are given projects to complete during their time with ERCOT. A formal presentation to upper management describing the completed project is due at the end of the summer term. Managers may also request routine department tasks be completed by interns.
Department Internships By Major
Computer Science/Information Technology
ERCOT is located in the heart of Central Texas with facilities in Austin and Taylor. The majority of intern positions are located in Taylor, less than a one-hour drive from Austin. The Austin area offers many lifestyle options that make it a popular place to live and develop a successful career. In addition to being the live music capital of the world, there is a wide range of restaurants, shopping, night life, and more within the immediate area.