ERCOT Sunset Review
What is the Sunset Review?
Why is ERCOT undergoing review?
State law requires that ERCOT, as the independent organization, be subject to Sunset Review during the same period as the Public Utility Commission of Texas.
What is the status?
The Sunset Advisory Commission is reviewing the mission and performance of ERCOT and welcomes public comments on ideas to improve ERCOT operations and services.
Sunset Staff Evaluation (Completed)
Sunset staff performs extensive research and analysis to evaluate the need for, performance of, and improvements to the agency under review.
Sunset Commission Staff
- Reviews agency’s self-evaluation report
- Receives input from interested parties
- Evaluates agency and identifies problems
- Develops recommendations
- Publishes staff report
Sunset Commission Deliberation (Completed)
The Sunset Commission conducts a public hearing to take testimony on the staff report and the agency overall. The Sunset Commission conducts a second meeting to vote on which changes to recommend to the Texas Legislature.
- Sunset staff presents its report and recommendations
- Agency presents its response
- Sunset Commission hears public testimony and receives written comments
- Sunset Commission meets again to consider and vote on recommendations
The Texas Legislature considers Sunset's recommendations and makes final decisions.
- Sunset bill on an agency is drafted and filed
- Sunset bills go through normal legislative process
- The Senate and the House conduct committee hearings and debate the bill
- Bill passes or fails adoption
- Governor signs, vetoes, or allows bill to become law without signature
Frequently Asked Questions
When will a decision be made? When will a decision be made?
ERCOT is currently in Phase 3 of the Sunset Review process. The Sunset Advisory Commission will submit Sunset bills that will go through the normal legislative process within the 88th Legislative Session.
Where can I find more information? Where can I find more information?
Interested parties can find more information on the Texas Sunset Advisory Commission website.